I love to walk, that is no surprise to those who know me, but when the weather gets really cold I keep in mind, and you should too, the following:
- Puppies and senior dogs should take short walks
- If your dog is shivering, doesn’t want to leave the house, etc., this is a clue for you Not to take him for a walk. Yes, you heard me right
- Short-haired dogs like Abby need a sweater and/or jacket when outdoors
- Always check your dog’s pads and nails
- In extreme cold weather, take your dog to do his business and bring him right back
Once you are back home with your dog, remember to provide him with a comfortable warm bed, and a sweater. Abby always wears a sweater when we are home otherwise I’d have to take her out to pee once every 2 hours!
Posted in Breeds, Dog Equipment, dog trainer, Dogs, Outings, senior dogs, Walking
Tagged anxious, backpack, Dog, dog bed, family member, french bulldogs, Winter
Alex, Bella, and Josie (L to R)
Regardless of the size or breed of dog I’ve taken care of, one thing I’ve realized they all love to do is nap. We, humans, sometimes feel guilty of taking a nap, yours truly is one of those, but as time goes by I am starting to feel less and less guilty.
Some dogs like Josie, the one by the sliding dogs, love to nap while getting a bit of sun, while others, like Bella, prefer a mix of a carpet and a cool floor. My point is, let’s learn from our canine companions and take a nap without any guilt!
Posted in ACL Injury, Breeds, Dogs, foster dogs, senior dogs
Tagged behavior modification, canine companions, dog bed, dogs, naps, Pit bulls, weimaraner
In the majority of pictures I post, you see Abby working, but does she ever take some time off? Yes, she does and I have plenty of pictures to prove that.
See what I mean? My girl works hard, but she also takes plenty of naps in her favorite bed. Yes, she has a few beds.
Abby is relaxing this weekend and whenever she has friends over they follow her lead. Of course, this is after we have taken a nice long walk. Enjoy your weekend.
Posted in Breeds, Dog Equipment, Dogs, Humor, Outings, senior dogs, Training, Walking
Tagged active dogs, Beagle, Bulldog, dog bed, dog walking, Pit bulls, Stoughton
Abby, “Mom, why are they making so much noise?”
To say that I do my best to take Abby every place I can would be an understatement. Here are some of the things I do with her:
- Since I hate with a passion going to the supermarket, while Cynthia goes shopping for groceries, Abby and I go to explore the neighborhood.
- Abby accompanies me to walk my clients’ dogs. Hmm! Let me rephrase that, Abby accompanies me to walk our clients’ dogs.
- I take her to different areas so she can see, hear, and smell a different environment other than the one around our apartment.
- Abby, in the near future, will be going with me on consultations, training and behavior modification sessions.
Abby, “Mom, I can’t find any treats in this area. How come?”
Abby has a long way to go when it comes to behavior modification for let’s remember that she is only a puppy, but I don’t want to wait until she is bigger, stronger, and a total pain in the neck. She makes a lot of mistakes. Way more than my Alex ever did, but as I tell pet parents over and over again, “Every dog is an individual and as such they learn at their own pace.” I do like the improvement I see in her, but that took a lot of work and patience and we have a long road ahead of us, but that’s fine.
Abby, “Got to get my beauty sleep.”
After we get back home, Abby walks around the apartment for a couple of minutes, and since she doesn’t know how to stop – she hasn’t found her off button – I tell her to go to bed and within minutes, not seconds, she is out like a light. What a hard working puppy I have. Enjoy your week.
Posted in ACL Injury, Breeds, Dog Equipment, dog trainer, Dogs, foster dogs, Humor, Nutrition, Outings, senior dogs, Training, Walking
Tagged balanced dog, dog bed, dog behavior, dog trainer, dog walker, ma, puppy training, Stoughton