The above cutie pie is Roxie, a Yorkshire Terrier often shortened as Yorkie, who is vacationing with us so I decided to highlight a few of her breed’s traits:
- A Yorkie’s coat is said to be hypoallergenic
- Very protective, active, and loving attention makes a Yorkie a great companion for an adult person
- This breed is better suited for families with children over 10 years old
- Excellent as a guard dog, yes you read it correctly, because they bark a lot
- Separation anxiety is common because they were bred to be companion dogs
As days go by, we’ll see about the traits I mentioned in Roxie. Enjoy your weekend!
Posted in ACL Injury, Annapolis, MD, Breeds, Crofton, MD, Dog Equipment, dog trainer, Dogs, foster dogs, Humor, Nutrition, Outings, senior dogs, Training, Walking
Tagged dog behavior modification, dog trainer, Maryland, mix breed dogs, Yorkie
Hot weather seems to affect Abby more than Charlie:
- Abby is able to walk without any problem as long as we walk very early in the morning
- She seems to get tired faster during Summer than Winter
- Because Abby is a Beagle Bulldog mix, BeaBull, she makes a funny noise with her nose when she is getting hot so I know that it is time to stop
- Also, because of the Bulldog in her, Abby snores sometimes. Yes, she does!
- Abby’s dark color, and dogs that are black, can easily get overheated
I love living in Maryland, but I am always mindful that Summers here are very hot and humid so I need to be careful when we venture out with my kids. Enjoy your Summer and stay safe!
Posted in Annapolis, MD, Breeds, Crofton, MD, Dog Equipment, dog trainer, Dogs, Outings, Training, Walking
Tagged dog backpack, dog behavior modification, dogs and hot weather, Gentle Leader, leather leash, One-on-One Dog Training