Money Dog Saving Ideas To Keep Your Dog and Wallet Happy
Let me start by making it crystal clear that I mean for you to be thrifty, not cheap. Thrifty means, wisely economical, careful and diligent in the use of resources. The way I look at it is this way: If I am thrifty and I go to a restaurant, I’ll give the appropriate tip or perhaps a little more if the service was really good, but if I am cheap, regardless of the type of service I get, I’ll leave nothing for a tip. I’d like you to aim for the former not the latter.
Here are some things I do and recommend:
- Walk your dog. Overweight dogs require more visits to the vet.
- Brush your dog. It will lessen the amount of times you need to take your dog to the groomer because of that funny smell. Dogs do not need to be bathed very often. Get a brush and at least once a day, after your evening walk, brush for at least 3 minutes.
- Brush your dog’s teeth. Less cleaning appointments will be required. If not comfortable brushing his teeth, get some Nylabones which helps clean teeth and reduces tartar.
- Second hand dog towels. Towels that you do not use because the color is fading or it has a little hole. Use them to dry your dog.
- Homemade dog food. Instead of buying those expensive can goods for dogs which, by the way, makes them fart so bad I want to run out of the room, cook some food for your dog and refrigerate and/or freeze leftovers. Your dog will love the taste and you’ll enjoy being able to breathe fresh air rather than his farts.
- Clothes. Check out your local Thrift Shop or Craiglist and take a look at what they have to offer. Alex is wearing a little girl’s bathrobe I bought for $3.00
Now, these are the things you should never skimp on:
- Vet care. Your dog depends on you, therefore take him for his vaccines and yearly check-up.
- Premium food. Don’t buy cheap dog food because in the end, both, you and your dog will pay for it.
- Training. Find a reputable trainer and take at least one class with your dog and you’ll see that he is more manageable and you’ll both enjoy it because of the time you’ll spend together
There are more things you can do and probably come up with on your own, therefore if you do, let me know so I may be able to use them as well.