To say that I love to walk with my dogs would be an understatement, but when it’s hot I need to be aware and mindful of the following:
- Pick an appropriate time to walk – I do my best to walk them before 9am and after 7pm
- Dark or black color coats – dogs like Walter, Australian Shepherd in the above picture, tend to overheat faster than dogs with light or white coats like Alex, a Pitbull mix
- Know the breed of your dog – dogs with flat faces and short noses regardless of the color could overheat fast because they are unable to cool down like those with long noses
- Water – always, and I mean always, carry with you enough water for you and your dog
- Take a break – you could stop for a couple of minutes under some shade or find a store that allows dogs inside like Home Depot so both of you could get a break from the heat, sun, and humidity
- Limit your time – if you usually walk 1 hour, depending on how hot it is, you may have to walk 20 to 30 minutes instead
Summer is a great time to walk with your dog, but just be careful and mindful of the above tips. What time do you walk your dog when it’s hot? Enjoy your week!